We all want to fill our social networks with #amwriting. That legendary hashtag that tells the world we are neck deep in prose, digging into the psyches of our characters and refining our scenes, however, far too often we find our muse has left the building, not note, no forwarding address.
Here are 10 reasons why, when my muse flees the scene, I’m more liable to use the hashtag #notwriting, what are yours?
1) One of my chronic health conditions are flaring up
2) I procrastinate by focussing on the needs of my son or husband
3) I get distracted by learning something new (ohh shiny!)
4) My inner critic is kicking my ass
5) Life. The gardening needs to be done, housework is piling up, bills need to be paid, I really have to call my sister etc etc
6) I get overwhelmed by the dozens of projects I want to work on
7) Social Media
8) Obsessive compulsive reading
9) Writing the wrong things and the wrong time simply so I can fee like I’m putting words together into sentences and thus I’m being productive
10) Playing with the “pretty stuff”, website templates, photos, canva, etc.